To give some impression what is possible and what is problematic supporting floating tab groups I’m releasing an early alpha showing what I have now.
Visual Studio 2008 and Tabs Studio v1.6.3.
How to create a floating tab group
- Make sure exactly two tab groups (horizontal or vertical) are opened.
- Decide for yourself what tab group you want to detach.
- Resize main Visual Studio window for tab group that remains.
- Select tab group that you want to detach and invoke TabsStudio.Connect.DetachTabGroup aka Detach Tab Group command.
Floating tab group window is created that you can freely move and resize:
Limitations of floating tab group window usage
- Can’t resize main Visual Studio window.
- Can’t easily switch to main Visual Studio window – in most cases you need to switch to the tab group in main Visual Studio window first.
- Can’t close floating tab group window – close whole Visual Studio instead.
- Can’t switch between windows that have different number of toolbars associated with them.
Feel free to try it for yourself.