Visual Studio “15” Preview 4, released this week, uses a new multi-instance deployment which I’m not sure how to support from the current Windows msi installer. So, I’ve created a separate Visual Studio vsix installer just for the new VS “15”.
Download link: Tabs Studio “15” v4.0.1.
Tabs Studio v4.0.0 released:
- Stopped support for Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio 2008, SSMS 2005 and SSMS 2008.
- Added Task Canvas tab tracking exclusion to the TrackEd add-in.
- Added stdole.dll to the Tabs Studio installer for VS 2015+.
- Fixed the registration conflict on startup with Window Title Changer.
- Fixed the rare SEHException with signals dispose on exit.
Download link: Tabs Studio v4.0.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v4.0.0 released
Tabs Studio v3.8.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio “15” Preview Enterprise (Visual Studio “15” Preview with New Lightweight Installer is not supported).
- Added support for SQL Server Management Studio 2016 March Preview Refresh and newer builds (older builds of SSMS 2016 are no longer supported).
- Removed the Close All but Pinned command from the context menu.
- Removed the incorrect hook for stdole.dll loading in Visual Studio 2015+.
- Fixed the rare MarshalingWindowFrame disposed object exception in the Saver add-in.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.8.0.
On April 1 SQL Server 2016 Release Candidate 2 was released along with the SQL Server Management Studio March 2016 preview refresh v13.0.13000.55. This new version of SSMS uses the Visual Studio 2015 Isolated shell and doesn’t allow any 3rd party extensions like Tabs Studio.
Update (May 10, 2016): Thanks to Karl Burtram from Microsoft, Tabs Studio is now in the SSMS 2016 package load inclusion list.
Tabs Studio v3.7.2 released:
- Created the TrackEd add-in to show a yellow bar in the tab title for modified files and a green bar for edited and saved files.
- Added the ability to quickly set SQL tab comment from text selection in the active document.
- Fixed a conflict with the Visual Studio Window Title Changer extension on startup.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.7.2.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.7.2 released
The Visual Studio editor tracks changed lines and displays them on the selection margin: yellow – changes since the last save, green – saved changes since file opening, orange – reversed changes (undo) after a save operation. I think it can be useful to indicate changed files in the tab title as well. An orange bar instead of the default asterisk for files changed since the last save (orange looks better than yellow in the tab title), plus a green bar for saved files:
Changed file indicators in tab titles
I’ve implemented it as the TrackEd add-in for Tabs Studio. These indicators should visually separate tabs you edited and other tabs used only for viewing. Give it a try and share your experience!
Download link: TrackEd v1.0. (Don’t forget to unblock the TrackEd.dll file after downloading from file properties.)
P.S. To clear tracking changes and the title indicator for a saved file, you can use this command for Visual Commander. (It works independently of Tabs Studio.)
Comments Off on Tracking changed files
Tabs Studio v3.7.1 released:
- Increased tabs font size selection up to 20pt for HiDPI screens.
- Fixed a rare exception on Visual Studio startup when PPT document well is installed.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.7.1.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.7.1 released
Tabs Studio v3.7.0 released:
- Added support for SQL Server Management Studio 2016.
- Created the AfterClose add-in to activate the next tab (instead of the last selected document) after closing the active one.
- Added NavigateToNextGroup and NavigateToPreviousGroup commands to the Navigator add-in to navigate between tab groups from the keyboard.
- Added MoveTabLeft and MoveTabRight commands to the Navigator add-in to reorder tabs from the keyboard.
- Improved the SingleRow add-in to show one hidden tab after closing a visible tab.
- Added support for the preview tab to the Navigator add-in.
- Added support for custom title grouping to the Disambiguator add-in.
- Added the RestoreToolbar command and the corresponding RestoreToolbar add-in for SSMS.
- Restored tabs visibility when switching Visual Studio layouts (changed in v3.6.5).
- Fixed the Saver add-in not saving order when closing Visual Studio from the debug mode.
- Fixed undefined behavior in style properties inheritance.
- Fixed a rare NullReferenceException in TabGroupsService.GroupWindows.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.7.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.7.0 released
Tabs Studio v3.6.5 released:
- Improved layout monitoring to prevent occasional tabs reordering.
- Fixed rare Visual Studio hang when loading a solution.
- Fixed the inability to customize the main menu in Visual Studio 2015.
- Fixed a rare NullReferenceException in ViewElementFromVSWindow.
- Fixed the MvcGroup add-in occasionally not recognizing MVC files after loading a solution due to different path case.
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015 to the Troubleshooter add-in.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.6.5.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.6.5 released
Tabs Studio v3.6.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015 to the XMenu add-in.
- Added the ability to expand closed projects for the Sync add-in.
- Added access to the Visual Studio 2015 package interface for Tabs Studio add-ins.
- Enabled the Navigator add-in by default in VS 2015.
- Fixed a rare ObjectDisposedException for MarshalingWindowFrame when updating windows.
- Fixed a rare check failure in AnimationMonitor.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.6.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.6.0 released