Tabs Studio v3.8.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio “15” Preview Enterprise (Visual Studio “15” Preview with New Lightweight Installer is not supported).
- Added support for SQL Server Management Studio 2016 March Preview Refresh and newer builds (older builds of SSMS 2016 are no longer supported).
- Removed the Close All but Pinned command from the context menu.
- Removed the incorrect hook for stdole.dll loading in Visual Studio 2015+.
- Fixed the rare MarshalingWindowFrame disposed object exception in the Saver add-in.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.8.0.
On April 1 SQL Server 2016 Release Candidate 2 was released along with the SQL Server Management Studio March 2016 preview refresh v13.0.13000.55. This new version of SSMS uses the Visual Studio 2015 Isolated shell and doesn’t allow any 3rd party extensions like Tabs Studio.
Update (May 10, 2016): Thanks to Karl Burtram from Microsoft, Tabs Studio is now in the SSMS 2016 package load inclusion list.
Tabs Studio v3.7.2 released:
- Created the TrackEd add-in to show a yellow bar in the tab title for modified files and a green bar for edited and saved files.
- Added the ability to quickly set SQL tab comment from text selection in the active document.
- Fixed a conflict with the Visual Studio Window Title Changer extension on startup.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.7.2.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.7.2 released
The Visual Studio editor tracks changed lines and displays them on the selection margin: yellow – changes since the last save, green – saved changes since file opening, orange – reversed changes (undo) after a save operation. I think it can be useful to indicate changed files in the tab title as well. An orange bar instead of the default asterisk for files changed since the last save (orange looks better than yellow in the tab title), plus a green bar for saved files:
Changed file indicators in tab titles
I’ve implemented it as the TrackEd add-in for Tabs Studio. These indicators should visually separate tabs you edited and other tabs used only for viewing. Give it a try and share your experience!
Download link: TrackEd v1.0. (Don’t forget to unblock the TrackEd.dll file after downloading from file properties.)
P.S. To clear tracking changes and the title indicator for a saved file, you can use this command for Visual Commander. (It works independently of Tabs Studio.)
Comments Off on Tracking changed files
Tabs Studio v3.7.1 released:
- Increased tabs font size selection up to 20pt for HiDPI screens.
- Fixed a rare exception on Visual Studio startup when PPT document well is installed.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.7.1.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.7.1 released
Tabs Studio v3.7.0 released:
- Added support for SQL Server Management Studio 2016.
- Created the AfterClose add-in to activate the next tab (instead of the last selected document) after closing the active one.
- Added NavigateToNextGroup and NavigateToPreviousGroup commands to the Navigator add-in to navigate between tab groups from the keyboard.
- Added MoveTabLeft and MoveTabRight commands to the Navigator add-in to reorder tabs from the keyboard.
- Improved the SingleRow add-in to show one hidden tab after closing a visible tab.
- Added support for the preview tab to the Navigator add-in.
- Added support for custom title grouping to the Disambiguator add-in.
- Added the RestoreToolbar command and the corresponding RestoreToolbar add-in for SSMS.
- Restored tabs visibility when switching Visual Studio layouts (changed in v3.6.5).
- Fixed the Saver add-in not saving order when closing Visual Studio from the debug mode.
- Fixed undefined behavior in style properties inheritance.
- Fixed a rare NullReferenceException in TabGroupsService.GroupWindows.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.7.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.7.0 released
Tabs Studio v3.6.5 released:
- Improved layout monitoring to prevent occasional tabs reordering.
- Fixed rare Visual Studio hang when loading a solution.
- Fixed the inability to customize the main menu in Visual Studio 2015.
- Fixed a rare NullReferenceException in ViewElementFromVSWindow.
- Fixed the MvcGroup add-in occasionally not recognizing MVC files after loading a solution due to different path case.
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015 to the Troubleshooter add-in.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.6.5.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.6.5 released
Tabs Studio v3.6.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015 to the XMenu add-in.
- Added the ability to expand closed projects for the Sync add-in.
- Added access to the Visual Studio 2015 package interface for Tabs Studio add-ins.
- Enabled the Navigator add-in by default in VS 2015.
- Fixed a rare ObjectDisposedException for MarshalingWindowFrame when updating windows.
- Fixed a rare check failure in AnimationMonitor.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.6.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.6.0 released
Tabs Studio v3.5.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015.
- Added the ability to customize comment placement in the tab title with the SQLComment add-in.
- Added the ability to manually set the tab comment with the SQLComment add-in.
- Enabled the SQLComment add-in by default in SSMS 2012/2014.
- Added the ability to customize extensions priority in the OrderEx add-in.
- Created the CloseClick add-in to close a tab by double-click.
- Fixed KeyNotFoundException in Sorter when opening a priority disambiguated tab.
- Fixed a rare ObjectDisposedException for MarshalingWindowFrame when opening Tabs Studio options.
- Fixed a rare “This Visual is not connected to a PresentationSource” exception.
- Fixed a rare ObjectDisposedException in the on_window_moved handler.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.5.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.5.0 released
Visual Studio 2015 Community Technology Preview 5 is currently available for download:
Visual Studio 2015 CTP 5 splash screen
While I do not see any changes in default VS tabs behavior, VS 2015 stopped support for add-ins and that required substantial internal changes in Tabs Studio. Now, instead of VS Add-in Manager, Tabs Studio is presented in VS Extensions and Updates dialog. You can disable and uninstall it from there (though to uninstall all files it is still recommended to use Control Panel):
Tabs Studio in Visual Studio 2015 Extensions and Updates dialog
With the new implementation I removed the Connect word from Tabs Studio command names that you can assign to keyboard shortcuts:
Tabs Studio commands in Visual Studio 2015
Everything else in Tabs Studio should work as usual. Please let me know if it doesn’t
Tabs Studio in Visual Studio 2015 CTP 5
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.5.0.
Comments Off on Visual Studio 2015 support