Tabs Studio v3.7.0 released:
- Added support for SQL Server Management Studio 2016.
- Created the AfterClose add-in to activate the next tab (instead of the last selected document) after closing the active one.
- Added NavigateToNextGroup and NavigateToPreviousGroup commands to the Navigator add-in to navigate between tab groups from the keyboard.
- Added MoveTabLeft and MoveTabRight commands to the Navigator add-in to reorder tabs from the keyboard.
- Improved the SingleRow add-in to show one hidden tab after closing a visible tab.
- Added support for the preview tab to the Navigator add-in.
- Added support for custom title grouping to the Disambiguator add-in.
- Added the RestoreToolbar command and the corresponding RestoreToolbar add-in for SSMS.
- Restored tabs visibility when switching Visual Studio layouts (changed in v3.6.5).
- Fixed the Saver add-in not saving order when closing Visual Studio from the debug mode.
- Fixed undefined behavior in style properties inheritance.
- Fixed a rare NullReferenceException in TabGroupsService.GroupWindows.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.7.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.7.0 released
Tabs Studio v3.6.5 released:
- Improved layout monitoring to prevent occasional tabs reordering.
- Fixed rare Visual Studio hang when loading a solution.
- Fixed the inability to customize the main menu in Visual Studio 2015.
- Fixed a rare NullReferenceException in ViewElementFromVSWindow.
- Fixed the MvcGroup add-in occasionally not recognizing MVC files after loading a solution due to different path case.
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015 to the Troubleshooter add-in.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.6.5.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.6.5 released
Tabs Studio v3.6.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015 to the XMenu add-in.
- Added the ability to expand closed projects for the Sync add-in.
- Added access to the Visual Studio 2015 package interface for Tabs Studio add-ins.
- Enabled the Navigator add-in by default in VS 2015.
- Fixed a rare ObjectDisposedException for MarshalingWindowFrame when updating windows.
- Fixed a rare check failure in AnimationMonitor.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.6.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.6.0 released
Tabs Studio v3.5.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015.
- Added the ability to customize comment placement in the tab title with the SQLComment add-in.
- Added the ability to manually set the tab comment with the SQLComment add-in.
- Enabled the SQLComment add-in by default in SSMS 2012/2014.
- Added the ability to customize extensions priority in the OrderEx add-in.
- Created the CloseClick add-in to close a tab by double-click.
- Fixed KeyNotFoundException in Sorter when opening a priority disambiguated tab.
- Fixed a rare ObjectDisposedException for MarshalingWindowFrame when opening Tabs Studio options.
- Fixed a rare “This Visual is not connected to a PresentationSource” exception.
- Fixed a rare ObjectDisposedException in the on_window_moved handler.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.5.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.5.0 released
Visual Studio 2015 Community Technology Preview 5 is currently available for download:
Visual Studio 2015 CTP 5 splash screen
While I do not see any changes in default VS tabs behavior, VS 2015 stopped support for add-ins and that required substantial internal changes in Tabs Studio. Now, instead of VS Add-in Manager, Tabs Studio is presented in VS Extensions and Updates dialog. You can disable and uninstall it from there (though to uninstall all files it is still recommended to use Control Panel):
Tabs Studio in Visual Studio 2015 Extensions and Updates dialog
With the new implementation I removed the Connect word from Tabs Studio command names that you can assign to keyboard shortcuts:
Tabs Studio commands in Visual Studio 2015
Everything else in Tabs Studio should work as usual. Please let me know if it doesn’t :)
Tabs Studio in Visual Studio 2015 CTP 5
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.5.0.
Comments Off on Visual Studio 2015 support
Tabs Studio v3.2.0 released:
- Added support for SQL Server Management Studio 2014.
- Created the SQLComment add-in to add an SQL query description to the SSMS tab name.
- Added the ability to display directories in tabs with the Disambiguator add-in.
- Added the ability to float a window by dragging a tab.
- Fixed Disambiguator to ignore the preview tab.
- Fixed the precondition violation after changing add-in files and clicking Save in the Add-in Manager.
- Fixed a rare ArgumentNullException in find_groups.
- Added an exception handler for ObjectDisposedException in VSWindow.activate.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.2.0.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.2.0 released
Many automatically opened SQL tabs in SQL Server Management Studio have names like SQLQuery1.sql, SQLQuery2.sql etc:
SQLQuery tabs in SSMS 2012
To better distinguish such tabs I’ve created the SQLComment add-in that can add a comment from the query body to the tab name:
Tabs with comments in SSMS 2012
You can chose any comment format and configure SQLComment to extract it using a .NET regular expression. For example, the default regex
StoredProcedure \[dbo\]\.\[(?<M>\w+)\] extracts the procedure name (AddEvent) to the M named group from the following code:
/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[AddEvent] Script Date: 3/11/2014 8:29:10 AM ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
To extract description from a comment like ––– provides details on investors you can use the regex ^––– (?<M>.+)$. To support several formats you can combine regexes with ‘|’ like ^––– (?<M>.+)$|StoredProcedure \[dbo\]\.\[(?<M>\w+)\]. You can use several separate M groups (line Name and Ext in standard tab grouping), the resulting string will be concatenated from all captures. Only tabs starting with SQLQueryNN.sql are considered for commenting.
Download link: SQLComment v1.0.0.
Update (March 20): Added commenting support for grouped tabs SQLComment v1.0.1.
Update (October 23): Added the “Set SQL comment…” tab context menu command for temporary comments. Added more customization for displaying comments. SQLComment v1.0.4.
Comments Off on Add an SQL query description to the SSMS tab name with the SQLComment add-in
Tabs Studio v3.1.5 released:
- Added support for multipart names in the title grouping regex.
- Added more diagnostic information to the error dialog.
- Removed the sometimes incorrect error message after copying the document path to the clipboard.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.5.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.1.5 released
I’ve added support for multiple captures of the Name and Ext groups in the Title grouping regex. For example,
(?<Name>.+?)-(?<Name>.+?)(?<Ext>\..+) will create the MainWindow name from the Main-Window.xaml tab. (?<Ext>Test)(?<Name>.+?)(?<Ext>\..+) will create the Test.xaml extension from the TestWindow.xaml. You can use as many separate Name and Ext groups as you need, the resulting string will be concatenated from all captures. It allows you to capture multiple parts of the original tab title as the name or extension. Technically I just switched to the built-in Group.Captures .NET regex feature.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.5.
Update: Connell Watkins shared his use of multiple captures to group lots of similar files.
Comments Off on Multipart names in the title grouping regex
Tabs Studio v3.1.4 released:
- Improved the fix for ObjectDisposedException on opening a solution in VS 2013.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.4.
Comments Off on Tabs Studio v3.1.4 released