Tabs Studio v3.2.0 released:
- Added support for SQL Server Management Studio 2014.
- Created the SQLComment add-in to add an SQL query description to the SSMS tab name.
- Added the ability to display directories in tabs with the Disambiguator add-in.
- Added the ability to float a window by dragging a tab.
- Fixed Disambiguator to ignore the preview tab.
- Fixed the precondition violation after changing add-in files and clicking Save in the Add-in Manager.
- Fixed a rare ArgumentNullException in find_groups.
- Added an exception handler for ObjectDisposedException in VSWindow.activate.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.2.0.
Many automatically opened SQL tabs in SQL Server Management Studio have names like SQLQuery1.sql, SQLQuery2.sql etc:
SQLQuery tabs in SSMS 2012
To better distinguish such tabs I’ve created the SQLComment add-in that can add a comment from the query body to the tab name:
Tabs with comments in SSMS 2012
You can chose any comment format and configure SQLComment to extract it using a .NET regular expression. For example, the default regex
StoredProcedure \[dbo\]\.\[(?<M>\w+)\] extracts the procedure name (AddEvent) to the M named group from the following code:
/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[AddEvent] Script Date: 3/11/2014 8:29:10 AM ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
To extract description from a comment like ––– provides details on investors you can use the regex ^––– (?<M>.+)$. To support several formats you can combine regexes with ‘|’ like ^––– (?<M>.+)$|StoredProcedure \[dbo\]\.\[(?<M>\w+)\]. You can use several separate M groups (line Name and Ext in standard tab grouping), the resulting string will be concatenated from all captures. Only tabs starting with SQLQueryNN.sql are considered for commenting.
Download link: SQLComment v1.0.0.
Update (March 20): Added commenting support for grouped tabs SQLComment v1.0.1.
Tabs Studio v3.1.5 released:
- Added support for multipart names in the title grouping regex.
- Added more diagnostic information to the error dialog.
- Removed the sometimes incorrect error message after copying the document path to the clipboard.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.5.
I’ve added support for multiple captures of the Name and Ext groups in the Title grouping regex. For example,
(?<Name>.+?)-(?<Name>.+?)(?<Ext>\..+) will create the MainWindow name from the Main-Window.xaml tab. (?<Ext>Test)(?<Name>.+?)(?<Ext>\..+) will create the Test.xaml extension from the TestWindow.xaml. You can use as many separate Name and Ext groups as you need, the resulting string will be concatenated from all captures. It allows you to capture multiple parts of the original tab title as the name or extension. Technically I just switched to the built-in Group.Captures .NET regex feature.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.5.
Update: Connell Watkins shared his use of multiple captures to group lots of similar files.
Tabs Studio v3.1.4 released:
- Improved the fix for ObjectDisposedException on opening a solution in VS 2013.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.4.
Tabs Studio v3.1.3 released:
- Added the ability to run Tabs Studio without .NET 3.5 installed in VS 2010/2012/2013.
- Fixed empty minimized separate tabs window tab title in VS 2010+.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.3.
Tabs Studio v3.1.2 released:
- Added the SolutionSettingsDir setting.
- Implemented proper Tabs Studio uninstallation for VS 2013.
- Fixed an exception for very slow opening tabs.
- Fixed ObjectDisposedException on opening a solution in VS 2013.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.2.
Saver and Marker add-ins need to save tabs order and highlighted tabs when you exit Visual Studio to restore them when you open the solution next time. This per-solution information is stored in .tss and .marker.tss files in directories along with your solution .sln files:
Marker and Saver per-solution files
I’ve added an option to store all per-solution files in the one common directory. You need to create this directory and create the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sergey Vlasov\Tabs Studio\SolutionSettingsDir registry value defining the directory for Tabs Studio add-ins:
SolutionSettingsDir registry setting
New per-solution settings will be stored in this directory with different file names for different solutions:
Saver and Marker files in the common solution settings directory
Tabs Studio v3.1.0 released:
- Added support for Visual Studio 2013 Preview.
- Added sorting rules to the Sorter add-in.
- Fixed missing executing and debugging images in SSMS 2012.
- Fixed VS 2012 service registration when AlwaysInstallElevated is set to 1.
- Fixed the rare measure infinity exception.
Download link: Tabs Studio v3.1.0.
Visual Studio 2013 Preview was released yesterday (see also a video):
Visual Studio 2013 Preview splash
The only new documents navigation related feature I can see is Peek Definition:
Peek Definition in Visual Studio 2013 Preview
It is similar to the older Code Definition tool window, but opens inside the code editor. Only one Peek Definition sub-window can be opened at once and it is read-only.